Graham cracker pie crusts are versatile and fast and easy to prepare, especially this recipe for no-bake gluten-free chocolate graham cracker pie crust.
You can make several, wrap and freeze them and when you need a gluten-free pie in a hurry, you are way ahead of the clock. Graham cracker pie crusts are used to make cheesecakes and a variety of frozen pies, like our favorite gluten-free strawberry yogurt pie.
Our new recipe for a chocolate gluten-free graham cracker crust is an easy gluten-free adaptation of a recipe that appeared in one of my treasured cookbooks, circa 1965, Farm Journal's Complete PIE Cookbook. Some of my all-time favorite pie recipes are from this old cookbook that I got from my grandmother's collection. Believe it or not, it is still available today on Amazon! I highly recommend this, even to gluten-free cooks, because it's full of State-Fair winning desserts that can be adapted to gluten-free diets.
We used Kinnikinnick Foods gluten-free "graham style crumbs" to make this recipe. It's convenient and fairly easy to find. If you have difficulty locating it in your area, you can always check Amazon.
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup brown cane sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 square/1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- Place 1-ounce of chocolate in a microwave proof measuring cup. Microwave for about 25 seconds on high. Add butter and microwave on high for about 20 seconds more, just until butter is melting. Remove and stir the mixture. (Note: Microwaves vary in temperature control. It's advised to start slowly when melting ingredients. If you prefer, melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler.)
- If chocolate isn't melting continue to microwave for 10 seconds until melted. Add gluten-free graham crackers, brown cane sugar and nutmeg. Stir to completely combine ingredients.
- Press the mixture into 9-inch springform pan or pie plate. If using a springform pan, use a spatula, spoon or your fingers to work the crumb crust up the sides of the pan about 3/4 - 1-inch.
- Chill in refrigerator until firm. If you aren't planning to fill the crust immediately tightly wrap and freeze for convenience.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans, and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.