Granola bars are a great alternative snack to cookies, cupcakes, and candy. Granola is a hearty mixture of baked whole grains, nuts, dried fruit and sometimes seeds baked with honey. It originated in the United States in the late 19th century and is similar to "muesli," a breakfast food popular in Switzerland and Germany.
Our new recipe for homemade gluten-free granola bars aren't as sweet as store-bought brands, and we've added a healthy amount of ground organic flax seeds, organic dried cranberries (sweetened with apple juice, not sugar), lots of omega-3 rich walnuts and of course, certified gluten-free oats.
Toast the gluten-free oats, ground flax seeds and walnuts before preparing this recipe for lots of extra flavors. And personalize this recipe with your favorite nuts, dried fruit, and honey!
- 2 cups certified gluten-free oats / 191 grams / 6.7 ounces (Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Oats used in this recipe)
- 1/2 cup ground organic flax seed / 49 grams / 1.7 ounces (Bob's Red Mill Organic Golden Ground Flax Seed used in this recipe)
- 1 cup chopped raw walnuts / 120 grams / 4.2 ounces
- 3/4 cup organic dried cranberries / 104 grams / 3.7 ounces (Eden Foods Organic Dried Cranberries sweetened with apple juice used in this recipe)
- 2 tablespoons packed brown cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup honey (Raw Buckwheat Honey used in this recipe - Use your favorite honey product)
- 1/2 cup light olive oil (or your favorite cooking oil)
- Preheat oven to 325° F / 163° C
- Place gluten-free oatmeal, ground flax seeds and chopped walnuts in a 13 x 9-inch baking pan, preferably a heavy metal pan. If using a glass baking dish, line with parchment paper or foil. Stir to mix and place in preheated oven for about 15 minutes or until the mixture just begins to turn golden. All you want to do is lightly toast the mixture for flavor.
- Remove from oven and cool to room temperature.
- Add brown cane sugar, cinnamon and salt to the gluten-free oatmeal mixture and stir to combine.
- Place egg whites, honey, and oil in a large mixing bowl. Use a hand whisk to combine the mixture. Add the toasted gluten-free oatmeal mixture and the dried cranberries to the egg white mixture and thoroughly stir to coat the dry ingredients.
- Lightly grease the baking pan and turn the granola mixture into the pan. Use a spatula or lightly dampened hand to press the granola mixture flat. Distribute the mixture evenly in the pan for even baking.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until the granola bars are a deep, golden brown.
- Remove and allow the granola bars to completely cool in the pan on a wire rack.
- When cool, use a spatula to remove the whole rectangle of baked granola to a cutting board. Use a large, sharp knife to cut the rectangle into fourteen 4 1/2 x 1 1/2-inch bars.
- Wrap each bar separately in waxed paper and store in an air-tight container for one week or freeze.
Reminder: Avoid cross-contamination in the kitchen. Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans, and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification.