Light and airy, fresh citrus macaroons are so easy to make and so full of fresh citrus flavor. Use tangerine zest in this recipe for a favorite holiday cookie.
Fiori di Sicilia is an out-of-this-world all natural flavoring from Italy. It adds a luscious citrus/vanilla flavor. If you can't find Fiori di Sicilia, substitute vanilla extract or see "tips" at the end of this recipe for my version of "Homemade Fiori di Sicilia Substitute" — not quite as sumptuous as the real thing — but it works. Use non-sweetened coconut flakes as this recipe has plenty of sugar in it.
- 2 large room temperature egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon homemade Fiori de Sicilia (or orange extract or vanilla extract)
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar (superfine sugar recommended)
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes (see tips)
- 1 teaspoon GF vanilla extract (I use Sonoma Syrup Company™ No. 4- Vanilla Extract "Crush")
- 1/2 teaspoon GF lemon extract or flavoring
- 1/2 teaspoon GF orange extract or flavoring
- Preheat oven to Preheat oven to 325° F
- Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper or lightly grease with butter
- Combine room temperature egg whites and Fiori di Sicilia (or substitute extract) in a mixing bowl and beat until soft peaks form.
- Slowly add sugar while continuing to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in grated citrus zest and unsweetened coconut.
- Drop by heaping teaspoons, 2-inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12 minutes.
- Cool before removing the macaroons from the baking sheets.
Tips: Most natural foods stores carry unsweetened coconut flakes
Use a 1 1/4-inch spring-loaded ice cream scoop to make forming the macaroons effortless
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans, and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.