This cheesy, spicy gluten free nacho cheese dip recipe is thickened with amaranth, unlike many store brands which are thickened with gluten. And it's seasoned with homemade gluten-free taco seasoning. Serve warm with gluten-free tortilla chips for a great half-time, or anytime snack.
- 2 tablespoons amaranth flour or sweet rice flour
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1 cup milk or dairy-free substitute
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons gluten-free taco seasoning (recipe below)
- 1/4 teaspoon gluten-free garlic powder (not salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon gluten-free onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2 teaspoons finely diced fresh jalapenos or to taste (optional)
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan on medium low heat. Whisk in amaranth flour and stir until a bubbly paste forms. Cook for two minutes being careful not to let the mixture brown.
- Add milk or dairy free substitute and whisk until the sauce is smooth and thick. Bring just to a slow bubbly boil and remove from heat.
- Add grated cheeses, garlic powder, onion powder, gluten free taco seasoning and jalapenos. Stir until the cheese melts and the sauce is smooth and creamy.
- Serve warm with gluten-free tortilla chips.
Tips: Feel free to substitute your favorite cheeses in this recipe.
Obviously, this is not a dairy free recipe, but you can reduce the amount of dairy in it by substituting dairy free milk. I use canned organic light coconut milk with good results.
If you refrigerator this recipe, reheat before serving. You may need to add a small amount of milk or milk substitute to reconstitute this dip to a smooth consistency.
Gluten Free Taco Seasoning Recipe
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans, and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.