If you have leftover ham from Easter or Sunday supper, use up the leftovers as well as the ham bone in one of the best ways possible - in a simple, delicious, gluten-free Split Pea and Ham Soup.
Most of the work preparing this soup is simply stirring. After cooking diced onion in a bit of olive oil until translucent, the remaining ingredients are added to the stock pot and slowly simmered for 35 to 45 minutes, with frequent stirring until the split peas soften and soup thickens.
The amount of water added to the soup is up to you and how thick you desire the end result. Start with five cups as the base, then add 1to 2 more cups of water if you prefer a thinner soup.
Garnish a bowl of this gluten-free Split Pea and Ham Soup with either a dollop of Green yogurt, sour cream, gluten-free croutons, or fresh chopped parsley. For more brightness in flavor, squeeze half a lemon over top, then stir to combine. Serving this soup as a hearty main meal? Use a slice of homemade crusty gluten-free bread as a spoon.
Vegetarian or making this soup for Meatless Monday? Simply leave out the ham and ham bone. The flavors will still be rich and delicious without meat.
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb dried green split peas
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 medium white potato, peeled and diced
- 1 cup ham, sliced into bite-size pieces (and whole ham bone, if available)
- 5 dried bay leaves
- 5 to 7 cups water
- In a large stock pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the diced onion and cook until softened and translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add the dried green split peas, diced carrots, diced potatoes, ham, bay leaves, and 5 cups of water to the stock pot. Stir to combine.
- Bring soup to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer, stirring frequently, for 35-45 minutes until split peas soften and soup thickens to desired consistency. Add additional water, if desired, to help soup reach desired thickness. Remove bay leaves and ham bone from soup.
- Spoon soup into bowls and serve alongside crusty gluten-free bread or as a side to your favorite meal. Garnish with a dollop of Green yogurt, sour cream, gluten-free croutons, or fresh chopped parsley.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels to confirm the product is gluten-free. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.