There's no reason to add anything containing gluten or additives into a pumpkin pie, and this simple gluten-free vegan pumpkin pie recipe proves it. Made with nothing more than pumpkin, soy milk, the usual pumpkin pie spices, vanilla and a little bit of corn starch to help it set, this is a dessert that everyone can enjoy, no matter their dietary preferences.
When it comes to celebrating the holidays and eating the tasty, traditional comfort foods that come with them, having dietary restrictions doesn't mean you can't enjoy it. Just because you follow a vegan and/or gluten diet doesn't mean you can't enjoy the holidays. After all, the meal isn't just about turkey. With recipes like this, it's possible to have a vegetarian gluten-free Thanksgiving complete with all your favorite comfort foods.
- 1 15 ounce can pumpkin
- 1 cup soy milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (see cook's notes below)
- 1 9-inch gluten-free pie crust (see cook's notes below)
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Add all ingredients together. Mix slowly at medium speed for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Pour into 9-inch gluten-free pie crust and bake 15 minutes.
- Turn oven down to 350 F. Bake another 45 to 50 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Refrigerate 30 minutes before serving.
- Pumpkin pie spice can be purchased in the spice aisle of most grocery stores, but you can also make your own. To do so, simply combine 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon, 2 teaspoons ground ginger, 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg, 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice and 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves in a small bowl, jar or storage container and use as much as your favorite recipes call for.
- Ready-made gluten-free pie crusts can be found in some grocery stores, but making your own is as easy as pie! Just combine 1/2 cup shortening, 1 1/2 cups rice flour and 4 tablespoons cold water, roll into a ball, then roll out into thin, round crust and place in your pie pan, fluting the edges for presentation.
Looking for more vegetarian and vegan pumpkin recipes? Look no further! These tasty recipes will help you incorporate autumn's most famous
Vegan Pumpkin Custard
Recipe courtesy of Ener-G Foods.
McAndrews, M. DIY Pumpkin Spice: Your Must-Make Fall Ingredient. Retrieved December 4, 2016, from http://www.bettycrocker.com/how-to/tipslibrary/baking-tips/how-to-make-pumpkin-pie-spice