A mug of tea and warm, fresh out of the oven scone on a rainy afternoon. Dreamy, right?
That dreamy image can become a reality with these Gluten-Free Very Berry Scones. These scones are gluten-free, but you would never guess. Each bite is bursting with fresh berries for fluffy, doughy breakfast goodness with every bite.
Instead of forming the scones into traditional triangles, I dolloped the scone batter into mounds on the baking sheet for a more rustic appearance (and to get the scones into the oven faster so I could enjoy them faster).
For a flair of fall flavor, garnish each scone with a dusting of ground cardamom for a touch of spice that pairs well with the berries.
Enjoy the scones warm out of the oven with a pad of butter or a hearty spoonful of this easy berry packed chia seed jam.
Rainy days will never be dreary and dull again with these Gluten-Free Very Berry Scones. Make a large batch and store in an air tight container to enjoy throughout the week, even if the sun shines through.
- 2 cups flour (Gluten-Free All Purpose, I prefer Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp xanthan gum (If your gluten-free flour mixture already includes it, then omit)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup ground flax
- 1/2 cup blueberries (fresh, washed, and patted dry)
- 1/2 cup raspberries (fresh, washed, and patted dry)
- 1/2 cup butter (cold, unsalted, cut into small pieces)
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt (non-fat)
- 3/4 cup soy milk (unsweetened, or other favorite non-dairy milk or regular milk)
- Garnish: cardamom (sprinkle)
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F and lightly spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Add small pieces of butter and cut into the flour with a fork or pastry cutter until coarse crumbs form.
- Whisk yogurt and milk together in a separate bowl until blended. Gradually add the wet mixture to the bowl of butter and flour, combining until a dough forms.
- After the dough reaches consistency, gently fold in the fruit.
- Dollop the scone batter into 2″-3″ mounds on the baking sheet, leaving ample room between each scone.
- Sprinkle each scone with cardamom and place in the oven. Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool scones on a wire rack. Enjoy immediately, or store in an airtight container once completely cooled.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels - not all brands are created equal. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.