This simple graham cracker crust mixture is easy to prepare, and may be used for a 9-inch pie or cheesecake. The standard size is just right for a small to 9-inch pie plate and the larger version is good for a larger, deeper pie plate or cheesecake. If you like a thicker graham cracker crust, use the larger measurements.
Crush graham crackers using a food processor or put them in a plastic bag and use a rolling pin to crush them.
Alternatively, graham cracker crumbs are usually available in the baking aisle. If using a food processor, add the sugar and process with the graham crackers. If making a graham cracker pecan crust (see variations, below), process the pecans along with the graham crackers and sugar.
- 1 1/2 cups fine graham cracker crumbs (about 20 squares)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar or brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter
- about 30 graham crackers or 2 cups of fine graham cracker crumbs (about 30 squares)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar or brown sugar
- In a small saucepan or the microwave oven, melt the butter.
- Place graham crackers in a plastic bag. Roll with a rolling pin until finely crushed. This may be done in small batches. Or, use a food processor to make fine crumbs. Alternatively, graham cracker crumbs are usually available in the baking aisle.
- Measure the graham cracker crumbs into a medium bowl.
- Add the granulated sugar or brown sugar to the graham crackers.
- Add the melted butter.
- Stir or blend the ingredients together with your hands.
- Press the crumb mixture into a pie plate or springform pan.
- To prebake the pie crust, bake for 10 to 12 minutes in a preheated 350 F. oven.
- Fill the crust and refrigerate or bake, following your recipe for pie or cheesecake.
Tips and Variations
- Add about 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon or a small amount of nutmeg or allspice to the crumbs for a spiced flavor.
- Baking makes for a firmer crust, especially if the pie us made with an unbaked filling.
- Replace about 1/2 cup of the graham cracker crumbs with 1/2 cup of finely chopped pecans or pecan "chips."
You Might Also Like
- Vanilla Wafer Crust
- Brown Sugar Cheesecake With Caramel Pecan Topping
- 10 Minute No-Bake Pumpkin Pie
- Pie Pastry Basics - Make a Perfect Pie Crust