Gran Centenario's Plata tequila has an interesting aspect in comparison to other blanco tequilas. The 100% agave white tequila is aged in French Limousin oak for 28 days, giving the spirit hints of oak in the earthy base. This is a nice turn on the concept of blancos, which are known to be unaged, and adds an unusual depth that is a nice addition to many of the favorite tequila cocktails.
Pros and Cons
- Slightly aged blanco tequila, giving it a very light oakiness.
- Rich and luscious with a hint of pepper spice.
- Excellent in cocktails light on the fruit and pairs well with herbal liqueurs.
- Mild alcohol burn and slightly dry finish.
- 100% blue agave, blanco tequila rested for 28 days in French Limousin oak barrels
- Distilled at Ex Hacienda, Los Camachines.
- Imported by SKYY Spirits
- Retails for around $40/750ml bottle
- 38% alc/volume (76 proof)
- Double Gold Winner at 2008 San Fransisco World Spirits Competition
- 90 Points at Beverage Tasting Institute
- Gold Medal Winner at 2006 San Fransisco World Spirits Competition
Review of Gran Centenario Plata Tequila
Pleasantly smooth and flavorful, Gran Centenario Plata Tequila is a great addition to any liquor cabinet and a new experience in the blanco tequila market. Its unique aspect of gentle aging adds just enough oak to the spirit, which rounds off the palate and produces a smooth finish that cannot usually be found in silver tequilas.
Gran Centenario is a great cocktail base and shines when paired with herbal liqueurs and light fruit mixers like lemon and lime. The traditional Margarita is an excellent use for this tequila, as is the delightful Jim's Diablo. I found it a pleasant addition to a Paloma and a Cantarito, a slightly rich and drier Tequini, and adds a soothing quality to the spicy Habanero Martini.
Overtly sweet aroma filled with delicious agave and cocoa notes. There is a warm and lush, earthy palate with a bit of oak and an herbal note with a spicy pepper hint. The tequila finishes with a rich and smoky smoothness that's slightly dry but spectacularly soothing.