Rich chocolate truffles are enlivened with a bit of Grand Marnier and orange zest in this delicious recipe. Ganache and the proper rolling technique are the secrets of this recipe's success.
For a whimsical touch, attach a bit of candied orange peel or an orangette to the top of a finished truffle using a bit of melted chocolate for glue.
- 2/3 cup cream (heavy)
- 1 teaspoon zest (fresh, orange)
- 12 ounces chocolate (semisweet, chopped into very small pieces)
- 1 tablespoon orange-flavored liqueur (Grand Marnier)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons orange-flavored liqueur (Grand Marnier)
- 1/3 cup cocoa solids (premium)
How to make Grand Marnier truffles:
In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring the heavy cream and orange zest just to a boil. Remove from the heat immediately. Add the chopped chocolate and Grand Marnier and stir until the mixture – ganache - is completely smooth.
Chill the ganache until it is hard enough to roll into balls. Measuring out a heaping teaspoon, quickly roll the ganache into a ball. Roll the ball in the cocoa powder and chill.