This classic cinnamon rolls recipe is always a hit. They're especially nice for holiday mornings and weekends. Take a pan of these along to the office or to a morning meeting and you'll be the designated hero.
Feel free to add some chopped nuts and/or raisins to the cinnamon filling mixture.
- For the Dough:
- 1 package (2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (105 F to 115 F)
- 1/2 cup lukewarm milk (scalded then cooled)
- 1/3 cup sugar (1/2 cup if you like it sweeter)
- 1/3 cup shortening, or margarine or butter (softened)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg (room-temperature )
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour (if using self-rising flour omit salt)
- For the Cinnamon Mixture:
- 2 tablespoon margarine or butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- For the Glaze:
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Make the Dough
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in milk, sugar, shortening, salt, egg and 2 cups of the flour. Beat until smooth.
- Mix in enough remaining flour to make dough easy to handle.
- Turn the dough out onto lightly floured surface, knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Place the dough in greased bowl and turn greased side up. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise in warm place until double, about 1 1/2 hours. Dough is ready if an indentation remains when touched.
Make the Cinnamon Mixture
- In a small bowl, mix together 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon together and set aside.
- The butter will be used when the rolls are assembled.
Assemble the Rolls
- Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Punch down dough. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a rectangle about 18x9 inches.
- Once the dough is rolled out, spread it evenly with 2 tablespoons softened butter or margarine.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar mixture evenly over the rectangle. Roll up tightly, beginning at the wide (18-inch) side. Seal well by pinching edges of the roll together.
- If desired, refrigerate the roll or put it into the freezer to firm up. It will be easier to slice.
- Slice the roll into 1- to 1 1/2-inch rounds. Place them on greased pan or cookie sheet, leaving a slight gap between them. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise until double in bulk, about 35 to 40 minutes.
Bake the Rolls
- Heat oven to 375 F.
- When rolls have doubled, bake until golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Make the glaze while rolls are baking.
Make the Vanilla Glaze
- In a small bowl, mix together confectioners' sugar, 1 tablespoon of milk and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract until smooth and pourable. If too thick, add more milk. If too thin, add more confectioners' sugar.
- Spread rolls with the glaze while they are hot out of the oven.
Cinnamon Rolls with Raisins and Nuts
- Sprinkle about 1/2 cup each of raisins and finely chopped pecans or walnuts over the cinnamon layer mixture.
- Roll up and proceed with the recipe.