This Greek quinoa salad recipe is made with traditional Mediterranean ingredients including feta cheese, Kalamata olives and fresh herbs. You could easily make this vegetarian quinoa salad recipe vegan by omitting the feta cheese or using a vegan cheese substitute.
Like cooking with quinoa? I know I do! If you like quiona, you might want to branch out and try some other whole grains, too, such as kaniwa, millet and teff! Whole grains such as these are versatile, and, if you buy them in bulk, they're a bargain! And of course, I love shopping in bulk! If you like quinoa already, here's some more healthy whole grains which you've got to try.
See also: More easy quinoa recipes
- 3-4 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa, uncooked
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar (you may use any flavor you prefer)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Juice from one lemon
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, sliced if desired
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/2 cup chopped artichoke hearts (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1. In a medium-large saucepan, cook the quinoa in vegetable broth for 15-20 minutes, until tender, stirring occasionally. Allow to cool.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, and olive oil.
3. Gently toss the quinoa together with the remaining ingredients, except feta. Pour the olive oil mixture over the quinoa.
4. Add more salt and pepper to taste and gently stir in the feta cheese.
5. You may also add any additional vegetables that you like, such as lightly steamed broccoli, snap peas or diced bell pepper.
Nutritional data (from Calorie Count):
Calories: 399; Calories from Fat: 163
% Daily Value:
Total Fat: 18.1g 28%
Saturated Fat: 4.7g 23%
Cholesterol: 17mg 6%
Sodium: 225mg 9%
Total Carbohydrates: 46.7g 16%
Dietary Fiber: 5.6g 22%
Vitamin A 18%, Vitamin C 24%, Calcium 15%, Iron 20%