Perfect for weeknight dinners when you need a quick and easy vegetable side dish. Fresh green beans are so much better than canned, I promise, and it's really not that much extra work to prepare them fresh at all. These simple green beans would make for a light and easy vegetable side dish for your Thanksgiving table.
If you usually prepare a green bean casserole for Thanksgiving and are looking for something a little bit lighter as an alternative, this green bean side dish would be perfect. It's still got a crunchy topping, but from breadcrumbs and walnuts instead of French fried onions, and there's nothing creamy to lay on the fat and calories (not to mention the sluggishness!).
If you're hoping that your Thanksgiving dinner will be a little bit lighter this year, try this easy vegetarian and vegan side dish recipe for sauteed green beans with bread crumbs, walnuts and a bit of garlic for a vegetarian and vegan side dish. Need it to be gluten-free, too? Add extra walnuts and omit the bread crumbs (or use gluten-free bread crumbs if you can find them). Enjoy!
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 tbsp margarine (use a dairy-free and vegan margarine to keep it vegan)
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- salt and pepper to taste
- First, trim your green beans. The easiest and quickest way to do this is to line up a large handful on a cutting board, and use a large knife to trim the ends off all at once on once side, and then again on the other. Then, you can chop them into smaller pieces, or keep them long, up to you.
- Heat the water in a medium saucepan over medium heat, then add the green beans, and allow them to cook, stirring constantly, until they are tender but still a bit crisp, about 8 minutes. Do not over cook them, as you'll continue to heat them for a few more minutes.
- Turn the heat down to low and stir in the margarine, tossing gently to coat the beans well as the margarine melts.
- Add the garlic and stir a few more minutes. Add the bread crumbs, walnuts and salt and pepper and serve while still warm.