This flavorful barbecue sauce gets a healthy dose of chilies to heat it up. You can adjust the heat by using hot or mild peppers. This sauce is perfect on pork and chicken.
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 can (16 ounces/475 mL) diced tomatoes in liquid
- 6 green chilies, seeded and chopped (adjust the amount to suit your tastes)
- 3/4 cup/180 mL tomato paste
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup/60 mL vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL white vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Sauté onion and garlic in oil until soft.
- Add all other ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until sauce thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Stir often while cooking and watch for any burning.
- Remove sauce from heat and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Pour sauce into food processor or blender, and puree mixture.
- Use immediately or store in an airtight container in a refrigerator for up to 5 days after preparation.
I recommend preparing a day ahead to let the flavors blend. Simply remove sauce from refrigerator and reheat in a large saucepan for 2-3 minutes before using. It can be used as a basting sauce, a side sauce, or both.