Didn't you always wish you could try Green Eggs and Ham when you read Dr. Seuss's classic as a child? It looked really weird and wacky, but I was never one to turn down any kind of food, so I knew Sam could convince me to eat a whole plate of Green Eggs and Ham!
This grownup version requires no artificial food coloring, just delicious and nutritious spinach, ham, and eggs! Spinach is an excellent addition to any breakfast! Spinach breakfast pizza is another great way to serve up green eggs!
It's also made in one skillet so it's crazy easy to throw together and requires very minimal clean up! Serve it alongside some toast or an English Muffin!
I used kielbasa sausage as the "ham" because I think it is delicious and it adds great flavor to the spinach. However, you can also use Canadian Bacon, or sliced ham! You can also serve it without the ham. It will make a great vegetarian breakfast!
- 1 cup of sliced kielbasa sausage or Canadian bacon or sliced ham
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of diced white onion
- 2 cups of frozen spinach or kale. If using fresh, double the amount
- 1/4 cup of heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 2-3 large eggs
- Heat a large skillet on medium high heat. Preheat the oven to 450 F.
- Add the sliced kielbasa sausage or other pork product to the skillet. Cook until slightly browned. Flip the sausage over and cook on the other side until browned. Remove the sausage from the pan and set aside.
- Add the tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet. Add the onions and cook for about 5 minutes or until nicely softened, stirring frequently.
- Add the frozen spinach, stir, and cover. Cook for about five minutes, or until the spinach is hot. Stir once, or twice to make sure the spinach is cooking fully. Add the heavy cream, salt, parmesan cheese, and garlic powder to the spinach. Mix until completely combined. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Make 2-3 wells in the spinach. Crack an egg into each well.
- Place the sliced kielbasa over the top of the spinach.
- Place the skillet in the oven and cook for about 10 minutes, or until the eggs have reached your desired doneness. 8-10 minutes will produce a runnier yolk. A longer amount of time will produce a firmer yolk.
- Remove the eggs from the oven and serve immediately with toast or English Muffins. Add salt if needed!