Tallarines verdes (green noodles) have a pesto-like sauce made from both spinach and basil. The sauce also has lots of queso fresco cheese, and is creamier than traditional pesto sauce. Serve these delicious noodles as a main course (with boiled yellow potatoes and green beans), or as a side dish to accompany steak or chicken.
- Sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil over medium heat until soft and fragrant. Remove from heat and set aside.
- While onions are cooking, add spinach and basil leaves to a blender with the milk and process (working in batches if necessary) until smooth.
- Add cooked onions and garlic to the blender with the cheese and process, adding a little more milk if necessary, until you have a smooth mixture.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Melt butter in the skillet that cooked the onions. Pour sauce from blender into the skillet and cook, stirring constantly, for 3-4 minutes, until sauce is heated through and smooth. Keep sauce warm.
- Add pasta to the boiling water and cook according to directions. Drain well and toss pasta with the sauce. Serve warm.
Serves 4-6 people.