This Pistachio Cake is easy, delicious, and unique! It gets its strong pistachio flavor from both chopped nuts and pistachio pudding, so it's sure to satisfy even the biggest pistachio lover. The cake is finished with a whipped cream frosting that's so light and dreamy, you'll want to eat it with a spoon! This cake is delicious year-round, but its beautiful color and light texture make it especially perfect for spring parties and showers.
The Pistachio Frosting on this cake is sensitive to warm temperatures, so you will want to keep the assembled cake in the refrigerator. If you need it to be stable at room temperature, consider frosting it with a traditional buttercream frosting instead.
- One 18-1/4 ounce yellow cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup club soda (can substitute lemon-lime soda)
- 2 boxes (3.4 ounce) instant pistachio pudding, not sugar-free variety
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (or 1/4 butter, melted and cooled)
- 1 pound coarsely chopped, lightly toasted pistachios
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 envelope (1-1/2 ounce) envelope of instant whipped topping
To Make the Pistachio Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line two 9-inch cake pans with parchment paper, and spray them with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine the cake mix, eggs, club soda, 1 box of the pudding, and the oil. Mix on low speed until the dry ingredients are combined, then increase the speed to medium and beat for 2 full minutes. Stir in the nuts by hand until they are well-distributed. Divide the batter between the two pans.
- Bake the cake layers for 20-25 minutes, until the top springs back when lightly pressed with your fingertips and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached.
- Cool the pans on a baking rack for 10 minutes, then remove the cakes from the pans and cool them completely on baking rack. The cakes can be made in advance and kept, well-wrapped, in the freezer for several weeks or at room temperature for several days.
To Make the Pistachio Frosting:
- In a large bowl, mix the instant whipped topping with the dry pistachio pudding mix. Stir in the milk. Mix on low to combine and then turn it on to high for at least 4 minutes. Once the frosting is fluffy and whipped, fold in the remaining nuts.
- Place once cake round on a serving plate, and spread about half of the frosting on the cake. Top with the second cake round, and spread the frosting all along the top and sides of the cake. Once frosted, keep the cake in the refrigerator because the frosting will melt if not refrigerated. Enjoy!