Artichokes are so much better grilled than steamed. To get the most flavor out of these small artichokes you want to give them a quick boil before they hit the grill. This is also a fantastic way to incorporate an open flamed flavor to artichoke dip or pasta dishes. Simply scoop out the artichoke hearts, lightly chop, and use.
- 8 small artichokes, trimmed and halved
- 1 lemon
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for brushing
- salt to taste
1.Preheat grill for high heat.
2. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze out the juice in a bowl. Set aside for later. Cut what remains of the lemon into quarters.
2. Boil artichokes in water with 2 tablespoons olive oil, garlic, lemon quarters, thyme. Cook until artichokes are just tender.
3. Remove artichokes from water, set aside for about 5 minutes allowing them to cool slightly. Blot with paper towel to remove any excess moisture.
Brush with more olive oil and place onto the grill.
4. Grill for 3-4 minutes or until they start to brown. Remove from grill, sprinkle with a little lemon juice and season with salt. Serve immediately.
5. Artichokes will keep for up to 3 days after initial preparation stored in an air tight container in the refrigerator. Enjoy them cold or rewarm in the microwave.