This ultimate grilled cheese sandwich is loaded with Wisconsin's best aged sharp cheddar, sweet and savory homemade bacon jam, and spicy pickled jalapenos. It's rich, creamy, crunchy, meaty, cheesy, sweet, and spicy and basically encapsulates every delicious flavor between two hearty slices of buttery Texas toast.
Not only is it one of my favorite sandwiches of all time, but it's also one of my go-to's for my Grilled Cheese Social pop-ups. I've made this sandwich for people all over the world - from San Fransisco, California to Hamburg, Germany - and it's always a hit.
If you're able to get specialty cheeses in your area, try to find Hook's 3 year cheddar from Wisconsin. It's my absolute favorite and pairs perfectly with the ingredients of this sandwich. You'll definitely want to serve it with chips and a pickle!
- 2 slices of Texas toast
- 1.5 tbsp. bacon jam
- 3 slices aged cheddar
- 3 pickled jalapeno rings
- 2 pats salted butter
- Begin by laying 1.5 slices of aged cheddar onto one of the slices of Texas toast. Smear on the bacon jam while keeping the majority of the jam in the middle of the sandwich and top with pickled jalapenos.
- Add the other 1.5 slices of aged cheddar and top with the other slice of bread. Butter the exterior of the sandwich and set aside.
- Add your sandwich to a medium sized cast iron skillet or panini press and turn the heat to medium.
- Allow the sandwich to cook for a few minutes on each side until the cheese has melted and the bread has begun to brown and crisp up.
- Once the sandwich is toasted and the cheddar has melted, remove from heat and set aside for a minute to allow the cheese to thicken back up. After a minute, slice the sandwich in half and enjoy!