In this recipe, you split the game hens in half which makes them easier and quicker to grill. Splitting the game hens is simple with a pair of kitchen shears: just cut through the breast then flip it over and cut down one side of the backbone.
- 2 Cornish game hens, 1 to 1 1/2 pounds (450 to 675 g) each
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) olive oil
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) black pepper
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) dried marjoram
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (7.5 mL) salt
1. Split game hens in half lengthwise. Rinse with cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
2. In a small bowl combine olive oil, lemon juice, herbs, salt and pepper. Place hens in a shallow baking dish and pour marinade over. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
3. Preheat grill and prepare for indirect grilling. Remove hens from marinade and place on grill, skin side up, away from the direct heat.
Baste with remaining marinade during first 20 to 25 minutes of cooking. Hens should take about 45 to 50 minutes. Once hens reach an internal temperature (in multiple locations) of 165 degrees, they are done.
4. Remove from heat, tent with aluminum foil for 10 minutes and let rest before serving.