Grilled halloumi cheese: It's trendy, it's easy, it's gourmet and it's quick, but the real reason to try grilled halloumi cheese on your indoor or outdoor grill is that it tastes, quite simply, incredible. If you've never tried grilled halloumi cheese, you simply must learn how to do it with this easy recipe. Can't find a local source for halloumi where you live? Try shopping online for halloumi. Not sure about halloumi? Check out what you need to know about halloumi cheese here.
Don't be tempted to take a bite of the fresh halloumi cheese just out of the package - it's a bit oddly textured and rubbery. But on the grill (or even just pan-fried in a skillet), halloumi cheese really comes alive and bursts with deliciousness - and you won't want to miss even a nibble of it!
Halloumi is the perfect addition to your outdoor grill menu - whether you're cooking for vegetarians or just people who love good food (but particularly if you need some creative vegetarian grill ideas beyond just veggie burgers).
- 1 package halloumi (or halloumi-style cheese)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Pre-heat your indoor or outdoor grill to medium heat.
- Slice halloumi cheese into wide, 1/2 inch thick slices and lightly brush each side with olive oil.
- Carefully place on grill for just a few minutes on each side (about 2-3 minutes), until lightly browned and gently crisped; do not over-grill.
- Halloumi cheese is best served immediately, while it is slightly crispy on the outside and soft and gooey on the inside.
Grilled halloumi can be eaten just as it is. Delicious!