This is a great way to prepare a ham steak. You grill it with pineapple, mustard, and honey which gives it a delicious flavor. You can probably get the pineapple juice from this recipe from the whole pineapple after you have cut it up. However, if you're pressed for time, simply use canned pineapple juice.
- 1 2-inch thick ham steak (fully cooked)
- 1 large ripe pineapple
- 1/2 cup/120 mL unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup/60 mL yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL oil
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL honey
1. Mix together the pineapple juice, oil and 1 teaspoon/5 mL of the mustard. Make cuts through the fat on the ham steak so it won't curl while on the grill. Place ham in shallow glass baking dish and pour half the pineapple mixture over top, reserving the other half for later. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for 20-30 minutes.
2. Preheat grill for medium heat.
3. With a pair of scissors trim the sharp points from the pineapple crown.
Clip off any dried spikes with kitchen shears. With a sharp knife cut the pineapple lengthwise into 8 equal pieces. Lay out on a platter, skin down and drizzle with honey right before placing onto the grill (you might need more than 2 tablespoons/30 mL).
4. Place ham on grill over a medium fire. Let grill for about 10-15 minutes, brushing periodically with marinade. Remember that it is safe to use the marinade as a baste since the ham is fully cooked. When browned on one side turn over. Place pineapple pieces on the grill. Continue grilling, brushing the ham with the marinade from time to time. Remove when pineapple has good grill marks and ham is heated through. Place on serving platter.
5. Warm remaining marinade in microwave or stove top and mix with remaining mustard until the mustard is even dissolved into mixture. Pour over ham and serve.