This is a great way to prepare a ham steak. You grill it with pineapple, mustard, and honey which gives it a delicious flavor. You can probably get the pineapple juice from this recipe from the whole pineapple after you have cut it up. However, if you're pressed for time, simply use canned pineapple juice.
- 1 2-inch thick ham steak (fully cooked)
- 1 large ripe pineapple
- 1/2 cup/120 mL unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup/60 mL yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL oil
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL honey
1. Mix together the pineapple juice, oil and 1 teaspoon/5 mL of the mustard. Make cuts through the fat on the ham steak so it won't curl on the grill. Place ham in shallow baking dish and pour mixture over it. Let stand for 20-30 minutes.
2. With a pair of scissors trim the sharp points from the pineapple crown. Remove any dried spikes. With a sharp knife cut the pineapple lengthwise into 8 equal pieces.
Lay out on a platter, skin down and drizzle with honey (you might need more than 2 tablespoons/30 mL). Let ham and pineapple sit for about an hour.
3. Preheat grill. Place ham on grill over a medium fire. Let grill about 10-15 minutes, brushing periodically with marinade. When browned on one side turn over. Place pineapple pieces on the grill. Continue grilling, brushing the ham with the marinade from time to time. Remove when pineapple has good grill marks and ham is heated through. Place on serving platter. Take remaining marinade and mix with remaining mustard until the mustard is even dissolved into mixture. Pour over ham and serve.