This stuffed pepper recipe can be used to make either vegetarian Mexican chile rellenos using poblano peppers on the grill, or, if you don't have poblano peppers, you can stuff green bell peppers instead for a dish similar to traditional chile rellenos. These vegetarian chili rellenos are stuffed with a mixture of baked beans and cheese, seasoned with garlic, onion and fresh cilantro.
Need your vegetarian chili rellenos to be lower in fat or completely vegan as well as vegetarian? To keep it vegan, simply omit the cheese. Need it to e gluten-free as well? All of the ingredients in this recipe are gluten-free, with the possible exception of the canned baked beans. Read the label carefully, as some brands contain hidden gluten-containing additives. If you're not sure, and cooking for someone else, probably best to err on the side of caution.
Recipe courtesy of Bush's® Beans.
If you like vegetarian chile rellenos, you may also want to try these vegetarian chile rellenos with black beans.
Looking for more vegetarian or vegetable grill recipes? Look no further! There's plenty of vegetarian and vegetable grill recipes here.
- 6 large poblano chiles or green bell peppers
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 28 oz. can vegetarian baked beans, drained
- 1 to 3 tsp. hot sauce, to taste
- 12 oz. Pepper Jack or Monterey Jack cheese, coarsely grated
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Cut poblano chiles in half lengthwise to create a boat for filling and scrape out seeds.
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a nonstick skillet. Add onion, garlic, jalapenos, red bell pepper, cilantro and cumin, and cook over medium heat until golden brown for about 4 minutes.
Remove pan from heat and stir in the baked beans, hot sauce and 8 ounces of cheese. Add a bit of salt and pepper to taste. Spoon the mixture into the hollowed chiles and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Set up your grill for indirect grilling and preheat to medium. Arrange the chillies on the grill away from the direct heat. Cook until the chillies are tender and cheese is browned and bubbling, about 30 to 40 minutes.
Remove from grill and serve at once, though be careful as they'll be super hot!
Enjoy your vegetarian chilie rellenos!
Like these healthy vegetarian chili rellenos? Here are more fantastic meatless Mexican recipes you'll enjoy:
- Frijoles Negros (Black Beans)
- Tempeh and pineapple fajitas
- Mushroom Fajitas
- Vegetarian Posole Soup with Hominy
- Easy Vegetarian Breakfast Burritos
- Quick Seven Layer Dip Recipe
- Slow cooked vegetarian tempeh "carnitas"
- Vegetarian Chili Flautas
- Enchilada Casserole
- 11 ways to make homemade guacamole
- More vegetarian and vegan Mexican recipes