It doesn't take a lot to make delicious sweet potatoes. These grilled sweet potato slices get a quick blanch in hot water and then hit the grill to cook up hot and fast. The best part is that most of the preparation can be done in advance.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup butter (melted)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- vegetable oil
Cut sweet potatoes into 3/4-inch slices. Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil. Add salt and potatoes. Boil until potatoes are just starting to soften, about 8-10 minutes. Cool and remove peels.
- Combine butter, brown sugar and cinnamon, set aside.
- Brush potatoes on both sides with vegetable oil and also oil the grill grates well. This creates a nice non stick surface so the potatoes don't get stuck and fall apart.
- Place sweet potato slices on preheated grill over a medium-low heat and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes, turning a few times during cooking process. During the last 5 minutes, begin basting with butter mixture. Keep an eye on the potatoes as this both butter and sugar can cause flare-ups on the grill. So keep the lid open for this part of the cooking.
- When the sweet potatoes as soft through the middle and browned on the surface they are ready. Remove, brush once more with butter mixture and serve.