01 of 05
Ideas for a Halloween Baby Shower
Halloween might not be the first theme that you considered for your baby shower, but it can be a great way to have fun and do something very different. It is not every day that you get a chance to combine the zaniness of Halloween with the joys of celebrating a new baby.
A Halloween baby shower theme lends itself nicely to a co-ed baby shower, though this is only one option. You could certainly have a baby shower with a Halloween theme and not have it be co-ed at all. That is completely up to the hostess and the mother-to-be.
In the Halloween Baby Shower Guide, we're going to cover the following topic ideas:
- Invitations and decorations
- Shower games
It's important to note that having at least the mother-to-be dress up in some sort of costume will really help sell this theme to your guests. This doesn't have to be very elaborate, but something fun!Continue to 2 of 5 below.
02 of 05
Shower Party Food
The food for a baby shower can be a lot of fun when you're trying to tie it to a theme. Here the Halloween theme really lends itself to tons of fun! Here are a variety of ideas and recipes to consider for your baby shower:
- Serve a placenta-shaped cake
- Serve any version of a red punch and call it a "Bloody Show Punch"
- Alternatively, serve clear punch and label it Amniotic Fluid, for added gore, float gummy worms in the punch
- Consider adding ice cubes with candies inside for a chilling effect
- Serve dirt cups with spiders. Cupcakes work well, too!
- Placenta cookies: sugar cookies with red icing
- Cupcakes with babies peeking out of the icing
- Put snacks out on the tables, such as gummy worms (as "gummy sperm"), zombie candies, mini brains, fruit twists or Twizzlers that resemble umbilical cords, and Halloween-colored M&Ms
Consider labeling your dishes so that people can enjoy your puns.Continue to 3 of 5 below.
03 of 05
Invitations and Decorations
Your invitations and decorations will start your Halloween theme from the moment it is opened or your guests walk in the door. Here are some ideas to think about including:
Continue to 4 of 5 below.
- For a ladies-only shower, consider using invitations in the shape of or featuring ghosts for a fabulous "Ghoul's Night Out"
- Consider using baby witches or ghosts as invitation characters
- Specify on the invitation if you expect people to wear costumes or not
- Instead of pink and blue, decorate with traditional fall or Halloween colors
- Have a haunted nursery for people to tour (Though this really sounds more like real life with the messy room!):
- Spooky music
- Black lights
- Scary stuffed animals or something like a clown
- A haunted breast pump
- Crepe paper danging
- Dirty diapers on the floor
- Serve your punch in a cauldron
04 of 05
Baby Shower Games
A shower isn't complete without the party games. Here are a few ideas:
Dirty Diaper Game
- This is a twist on the classic dirty diaper game and a combo of the traditional Halloween feely game
- Take things that represent "gross" things about pregnancy and babies and put them in diapers. Have guests feel inside the diapers to decide what is what.
- Examples include:
- A long piece of Twizzler to represent the umbilical cord
- Some red, not quite firm Jell-O to represent a bloody show
- Some store-bought slime to represent the mucus plug
- Pass out each diaper and have guests write what they think it is with the most correct answers win!
Needle in a Haystack Halloween Version
- This is a version of the Needle in a Haystack baby shower game
- Take a bowl filled with peeled grapes
- Put in a hand full of well-separated prunes
- While blindfolded, have people pick out as many prunes from the grapes in one minute as they can
- The winner is the person who gets the most!
How Dilated is Your Pumpkin
- You will need several pumpkins (four-five), a carving knife, play dough, metric ruler
- Open the top of the pumpkins, but do not carve the sides
- Clean part of the "guts" out and put in a ring of play dough measured between one to ten centimeters
- Have players reach in and measure how dilated each ring is and write it down, repeating for each pumpkin
- The winner is the person who gets the most right answers.
Adding a little movement to your games will keep everyone awake and is good for the star of the show. Physical activity during pregnancy may have long term positive benefits on the baby.Continue to 5 of 5 below.
05 of 05
Ready for Your Baby Shower?