Halloween Jinx is a classic Halloween party game that will test your friends' memories. The game makes it taboo for your guests to say certain words or phrases during the party. Trust me, it's not as easy as it sounds! But it is a whole lot of fun and will keep everyone laughing all night long.
The Halloween Jinx game is very versatile and can work for any size of party, from small to large. You can change the words to make it a Halloween party game for adults, kids, and everyone in between.
Halloween Jinx is also known as Forbidden Word and You Can't Say That.
How to Play Halloween Jinx
As your guests arrive at the party hand them a card or piece of paper with a list of words on them. These words need to be the same for each guest. These are the forbidden, or jinx, words of the night.
When a guest hears another guest use one of the words on the list, they'll need to yell "Jinx!" The person who said one of the forbidden words gets their card taken away and they're out of the game.
The last person who hasn't used one of the jinx words is the winner. If that doesn't apply to anyone, the winner is the guest who has used the forbidden words the least amount of times in the evening. A little prize or simply bragging rights is their reward for being able to keep their mouth shut.
Halloween Jinx Word Ideas
It works best if your list contains 3-5 jinx words. Too many words will be tough to remember and too few words won't be challenging enough.
You'll also want to pick words that aren't very common but may come up several times during the party.
Here are some jinx words ideas but feel free to come up with your own:
Halloween Jinx Game Variations
Here are some variations of the Halloween Jinx game to mix things up a little bit and make them work for your party.
- Instead of handing out individual cards, you can post the list somewhere. Just make sure that all the guests are aware of the words.
- You can make the game tougher by sticking a label to each guest's back with their own individual forbidden word. When a guest hears another guest using the word on their back, they can take off the label.
- Reward the tattle-tales by giving a piece of candy to anyone that appropriately yells "jinx!" during the party.
- Instead of kicking someone out of the game the first time they say one of the jinx words, use something that will signify who many strikes they have against them. This could be a clothespin or Halloween sticker.
- Make the only word that is forbidden of the night be the costume that the guest comes dressed in. This means that each guest will have their individual jinx word.
- Play Halloween Bingo while you still have the forbidden word rule. Can the caller describe the bingo squares when they can't use certain words?
- You can also play this as the game of "Jinx" and use it as a Christmas party game, baby shower game, and even a birthday party game simply by changing the word list.