This mashed potato-topped hamburger casserole recipe is easy to prepare and bake, and it makes a great family meal. It's a homey mixture of ground beef, topped with mashed potatoes and shredded cheese. It's a simple one-dish meal you'll make again and again.
The seasoned hamburger layer is similar to a meatloaf mixture. I added about 3/4 cup of cream style corn to the casserole just before adding the mashed potato topping.
If your family can't get enough mashed potatoes, use about 4 cups. Serve with steamed broccoli, cream-style corn, or your family's favorite sides.
- 1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 pound lean ground beef, at least 85 percent lean
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced onion (1/2 small onion)
- 1 large egg
- prepared mashed potatoes, about 2 to 4 cups
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- paprika, optional
- In a small bowl, soak the bread crumbs in milk.
- In a large bowl, mix the ground beef with the bread crumb mixture, along with the salt, pepper, onion, and the beaten egg.
- Pat the meat mixture into a 9-inch pie plate. Bake at 350 F° for 30 minutes. Remove the ground beef from the oven and carefully pour off the excess fat.
- Top the meat with the mashed potatoes; sprinkle with cheese. If desired, sprinkle lightly with paprika.
- Return to oven for about 15 minutes longer, or until the cheese is melted and potatoes are thoroughly heated.
Hamburger casserole serves 4.
Tips and Variations
- Before topping the baked ground beef with the mashed potatoes, top it with about 1 cup of cooked corn kernels or about 1/2 to 1 cup of cream-style corn.
- To brown the cheese topping slightly, turn the oven up to 400 F to 425 F about 5 minutes before the casserole is done.
You Might Also Like