Make this hamburger and pasta skillet dish with egg noodles or macaroni. I made the dish with 1 1/2 cups of mini penne pasta (pictured). Tomatoes, chili sauce, and tomato paste give it vibrant tomato color and flavor. If you don't have chili sauce, use ketchup in the dish.
Serve this easy, flavorful skillet dish with a simple vegetable salad and crusty rolls or biscuits.
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- dash freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups egg noodles, uncooked or about 1 1/2 cups mini penne or elbow macaroni (approximately 6 ounces)
- 3/4 cup water or unsalted beef stock
In a large heavy skillet, cook bacon until crisp; drain, crumble, and set aside.
Add onion to the bacon drippings and cook until tender. Add the ground beef cook, stirring, until the beef is no longer pink.
Stir in tomatoes, green bell pepper, chili sauce, tomato paste, garlic powder, salt, and a dash of pepper.
Add the uncooked noodles or pasta to the ground beef mixture along with water or stock.
Cover and cook over low heat for 30 minutes, or until noodles are tender.
Check after about 20 minutes and add more water or stock, if necessary.
Stir the crumbled bacon into the dish or use it as a garnish.
Tips and Variations
Omit the bacon and cook the onion in about 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil or butter.
Use diced stewed tomatoes instead of plain tomatoes, or use zesty chili-seasoned tomatoes.
You Might Also Like