Hanging dish towels are a great way to have towels where you need them, when you need them. They are also a great gift for almost any holiday done with holiday fabric and towels that you buy on clearance to save money.
Time Required: Approximately One Hour
- Print out of patterns for button type handle and double ended handle(PDF format)
- Fabric scraps to compliment your towel
- Standard Dish Towel - cut in the middle leaving both ends in tact.
- A button for double ended handle type
- Cut a standard dishtowel in the middle leaving both ends in tact.Use the line on the pattern to lay the pattern on the lengthwise grain of the fabric. Pin in place. Cut out two of the pattern pieces.
- With right sides of the fabric together, using 1/2" seams, stitch around the curved edges of the pattern, leaving the bottom open. Trim and notch seam where necessary. Turn right sides out. Press smooth so that all seams are on the edge.
- For a pleated type of towel:
- Mark in 1" from the end of your dish towel. Fold at this mark and meet in the center. Stitch in to place and zig zag or serge raw edge of towel.
- Gather the raw edge of the towel so that it will fit the open area at the bottom of the pattern.
- Set the towel on one layer of the joined fabric pieces at the bottom opening. Pin in place between the seams. Sew the towel to the fabric using a 1/2" seam.
- Press the seam to the inside of the fabric pieces. Press under the other layer of the fabric. Top stitch the fabric through all the layers.
- Make a button hole, sized to your button or to your knob size, depending on which version you are making.