Harvey Wallbangers burst onto the cocktail scene right around 1970, and this easy and traditional recipe for Harvey Wallbanger cake, spiked with the cocktail ingredients and made from a mix, followed not long after.
It takes the potent flavors of the Harvey Wallbanger cocktail (Galliano liqueur, orange juice, and vodka) and puts them into a deliciously moist cake.
Look for the small single-serving bottles of the Galliano and vodka if you do not keep them on hand. Try using fresh Clementine (Mandarin) orange juice, which is a little sweeter than regular orange juice. You can also make muffins or cupcakes with this recipe.
So put on some Beatles music, light those pillar candles, fire up the fondue pot and have this retro cake for dessert for a totally cool '70s party.
- 1 box/18.75 ounces yellow cake mix
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup Galliano liqueur
- 1/4 cup vodka
- 1 package/3 ounces vanilla instant pudding mix
- 3/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar (sifted)
- 1 tablespoon orange juice (fresh is best)
- 1 tablespoon Galliano liqueur
- 1 teaspoon vodka
Bake the Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Grease and flour a Bundt pan or spray with floured vegetable spray.
- Place the cake mix, vegetable oil, eggs, Galliano liqueur, vodka, pudding mix and orange juice into a large mixing bowl. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour the cake mixture evenly into the prepared Bundt pan and tap gently on the counter to release any air bubbles.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean. (Do not overbake or it will become dry.)
- Let the cake rest for 5 minutes.
- Gently loosen the edges around the rims with a thin rubber spatula. Invert and unmold the cake from the Bundt pan onto a cake platter.
Glaze the Cake
- Mix the powdered sugar, orange juice, Galliano liqueur and vodka until the mixture is smooth. (If it is too thick, add more orange juice a few drops at a time to get a drizzling consistency. If it is too thin, add more powdered sugar a teaspoon at a time.)
- Drizzle the glaze over the cake while it's still warm; let cool to room temperature for the glaze to set.
To Make Muffins
- Fill mini-muffins and/or muffin paper-lined tins three-fourths full.
- Bake mini-muffins for 10 minutes regular muffins for 20 minutes. Check for doneness with a toothpick inserted in the center. If it comes out clean, they are done.
- Drizzle with glaze or sprinkle with powdered confectioners' sugar.
Suggested Related Recipes
• Fuzzy Navel Upside-Down Cake Recipe
• Bread Pudding Coffee Cake Recipe
• Dump Cake Recipe
• Patriotic Cupcakes Recipe
• Pineapple Inside-Out Cake Recipe
• Watermelon Cake Recipe
• Cranberry Orange Pound Cake Recipe
• Fruited 7-Up Cake Recipe
• Grand Marnier Pound Cake Recipe
• Healthy Mandarin Orange Cake Recipe
• Malibu Rum Cake Recipe