If you're a fan of the hash brown casserole at Cracker Barrel, and you like meat and potatoes, this recipe is definitely for you. It's simple and straight-forward, from prep to on the table in under an hour. You can make it with any kind of cooked meat, it is really that versatile. I prefer using leftovers, because why not. Specifically I'll use up pot roast, roast beef or brisket if it is in the refrigerator. You can even use deli roast beef (have them slice it thickly and roughly chop it), or you can also use browned ground beef. If you have a few extra minutes, browning ground beef works nicely.
This is pure comfort food, and just the thing for a chilly night when time is short but you want something hearty. With the cooler winter months just ahead, this recipe is super kid-friendly and sure to please the masses especially on a busy week night.
Don't Miss: One Skillet Cheesy Beef and Macaroni - this is such a robust beefy pasta dish, and such a crowd pleaser. The melted cheese on top is a great finishing touch. The house smells pretty terrific when it is cooking, too.
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen hash brown potatoes
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can of cream of mushroom soup
- 8 ounces (1 cup) sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups diced cooked pot roast, roast beef,
- brisket, or 1 lb. ground beef (see Note)
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup shredded Pepper Jack or Monterey Jack cheese, or a cheddar-monterey Jack combo
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine hash browns, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, milk, pot roast, onions and pepper. Mix well, and turn out into a greased 1-1/2 quart baking dish.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese over top. Bake 40 to 45 minutes until the cheese is golden, and the casserole is bubbly.
Note: To sub in ground beef, just use 1 pound ground beef, brown it in a skillet, and drain off the fat before adding it to the casserole.
Don't Miss: The Go-To Comfort Dishes
The Great Greek Turkey Meatloaf - a fun twist on meatloaf, and lighter because of the turkey, but not dry!
Perfect Mashed Potatoes with Fixings - always welcome next to a meat entree
Buffalo Turkey Burger Sliders - bar food meets comfort food
Potato, Leek and Dill Frittata with Creme Fraiche - it sounds fancy but it's really hash browns meets eggs at heart!
Pasta Shells with Pumpkin in a Creamy, Cheesy Sauce rich and indulgent, and great as a vegetarian side or main course
Mediterranean Braised Lamb Shoulder lamb shoulder makes a very tender cold weather dish.