This delicious hash brown casserole is perfect for a large brunch or dinner, or take it along to a potluck gathering. Use light sour cream and soups to make this casserole a bit lower in fat.
The hash brown bake is an excellent dish to serve with a big family breakfast as well. Feel free to omit the green onions if you'd like.
If you prefer a recipe without condensed soup, try this hash brown casserole.
- 1 package (30 ounces) frozen hash brown potatoes (thawed)
- 10 tablespoons melted butter (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onion
- 8 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup soft fresh bread crumbs
- Grease a 2- to 2 1/2-quart baking dish. Heat oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl, combine the thawed potatoes, 8 tablespoons of the melted butter, salt, pepper, sour cream, the cream of celery and cream of chicken soups, onion, and 1 1/2 cups of the shredded cheese.
- Spread the mixture in the prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs with the remaining 2 tablespoons of melted butter until well blended.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the casserole, then top with the buttered breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until hot and lightly browned.
Serves 10 to 12.
Tips and Variations
- Instead of bread crumbs, top the casserole with crumbled French fried onions.
- For a vegetarian casserole, replace the cream of chicken soup with cream of mushroom.