This delicious hash brown casserole is an easy and convenient slow cooker version of one of our favorite potato casseroles. Canned condensed cheese soup and sour cream make a cheesy, savory sauce for the dish.
I used nacho cheese soup in the dish pictured, along with shredded hash browns, but feel free to use condensed cheddar cheese soup and add some pimientos or diced peppers.
- 30 to 32 ounces frozen shredded hash browns, thawed
- 1 cup chopped onion, optional
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed nacho cheese soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 8 ounces light sour cream
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
Spray the crockery insert of a slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray or lightly grease the inside surface.
Combine the thawed hash browns, chopped onion (if using), condensed soups, sour cream, and melted butter. Spoon the potato mixture into the slow cooker insert.
Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours.
How to Thaw Hash Browns - There are a few ways to thaw hash browns. Pour them into a container, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
Pat them dry and proceed with the recipe. If you need them right away, put the frozen hash browns in a colander and thaw them under cold running water. Dump them out onto paper towels and pat dry.