This hash brown casserole is a rich combination of cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and condensed cream of celery soup.
Saute some diced celery with the onion or add some bell pepper or green onions to the potatoes. Cream of mushroom soup or cream of chicken may be substituted for the cream of celery.
If you prefer hash browns with a sour cream sauce mixture, take a look at this recipe for hash brown casserole with sour cream and cheese, or try these "heavenly" hash browns.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 small package (3 ounces) cream cheese
- 4 cups frozen (thawed) or refrigerated hash brown potatoes
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Grease a 2-quart baking dish.
- In a saucepan, saute onion in butter slowly until tender. Add the condensed soup, milk, and cream cheese; cook over medium-low heat, stirring, until smooth.
- Combine potatoes and onions in a large bowl and then add the soup mixture. Stir gently to blend ingredients.
- Spoon the potato mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Cover the baking dish tightly foil and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Remove foil and top with the shredded cheese.
- Return to oven and continue baking until the cheese is melted and the casserole is lightly browned.
To thaw frozen hash brown potatoes, spread them out in a single layer in a microwave-safe baking dish (you might have to do this in batches). Microwave on 100% power for about 30 seconds for each cup of potatoes.
You Might Also Like: