How to Get Anniversary Greetings Sent From the White House

The White House at dusk

Erik Pronske Photography / Getty Images

When it comes to weddings and anniversaries, making these memorable days extra special takes some serious creative brainstorming. Thankfully, you can receive a unique greeting from the White House if you know a couple who is celebrating a special day. For example, a couple celebrating 50 years or more of marriage, or a pair of newlyweds who just got hitched, can have an anniversary greeting or wedding congratulations sent to them right from the White House. You can even have the card sent to your spouse for a truly unexpected surprise.


To receive a greeting from the White House, there are some rules. First, you must be a U.S. citizen. There is also a limit on the number of White House greeting requests you can submit per day. Be sure to request the anniversary or wedding card in advance so that your request is honored in time. Several months ahead of the event date is recommended. Although the White House makes an effort to honor every request submitted, there is no guarantee for a greeting.

You are most likely to receive a card if you meet the following guidelines:

  • Note who will be receiving the Presidential greeting.
  • Provide the address of where to send the greeting.
  • Explain how to address the greeting (Mr. and Mrs., John and Mary, etc).
  • Include the date (mm/dd/yyyy) of the wedding or anniversary.
  • Express the number of years the celebrating couple has been married.
  • Add your name and daytime phone number.

Submit Your Request

There are three ways to submit your request for a White House anniversary greeting. First, you can submit your request through the office of your U.S. Representative or either one of your U.S. Senators. Click on the "Constituents Services" or similar section on the website. If nothing is listed, email your Senator through his or her website email form. Make sure you note that you want "Presidential Greetings," or you may receive a greeting from your Senator.

Secondly, the fastest way to request greetings from the White House is through the White House Correspondence Office's contact form. You can follow up on your request by calling the White House Comments line at 1-202-456-1111. Finally, you can write the White House yourself at:

The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, D.C. 20500

When to Expect It

Greetings will be mailed from the White House approximately 10 days prior to the event, in most cases. Wedding congratulations are mailed after the wedding date.

It is a good idea to request greetings from your state governor and former president in case your greeting is not received. Generally, you can request an anniversary greeting from the governor of your state through the state government website or the District of Columbia.