St. Patrick's Day means proudly wearing green, celebrating everything Irish, and drinking a delicious Shamrock Shake! Unfortunately, if you buy one at your favorite fast food chain you will be drinking over 500 calories and 80 grams of sugar! While this is definitely worth it once in a while, there is a way to enjoy all of the same amazing flavors, with far fewer calories at home! This shake recipe is packed with delicious peppermint flavor and is full of protein all while having much fewer calories! There's also some spinach in there! I promise you will not be able to taste it at all! It adds beautiful, natural color to the shake, as well as a boost of iron and other nutrients!
Instead of using soft serve ice cream, this recipe uses milk and bananas! You can easily make it vegan by replacing the cow's milk with almond, coconut, or soy. Just be aware that if you use sweetened non-dairy milk that the shake will be much sweeter!
You can omit the protein shake powder if you wish, just also reduce the amount of milk you add to the smoothie. Depending on the size of you banana you may need to add a bit more milk to achieve the correct consistency!
If you want the smoothie to have a deeper green color, you can add food coloring. However, the spinach does a nice job of making it light green without the un-natural food coloring. Make sure to use peppermint extract and not the extract labeled "mint." The mint kind will also have spearmint flavor, so it will not taste the same!
- 1 1/2 cups of milk (cow's, almond, coconut, or soy)
- 1 large banana (frozen)
- 1/2 cup of spinach (fresh)
- 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of real peppermint extract
- Optional: whipped cream
- Optional: mint leaves for garnish
- Add the milk to the blender. Add in the frozen banana, it is helpful if the banana is sliced prior to being frozen, but it is not necessary! If you don't have a frozen banana, you can use a fresh one, just add about 5 ice cubes to the blender too. This will help achieve the icy quality that a smoothie needs!
- Add in the spinach, protein powder, and peppermint extract. Blend for a few minutes, until smooth. It is helpful to use a blender that is made for smoothies. A traditional blender may not make the smoothie as smooth.
- Pour the smoothie into a large glass and top with fresh mint leaves and whipped cream if you wish!