This healthy and cleansing hot turmeric tea recipe is a hot drink made with milk (any kind is fine, either dairy, soy, or almond milk), almond oil, and a bit of sweetener with the key main ingredient : turmeric. Yes, I know it sounds a bit odd, but it's actually quite soothing and pleasant tasting, believe it or not. This version of turmeric tea comes from my old college roommate, but I'm not sure where she got it from.
It's quite similar to the original "golden milk tea" prescribed by Yogi Bhajan for joint health and Ayurvedic health.
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup milk (soy or dairy)
- 1 tablespoon almond oil
- Optional: 1 teaspoon honey (or agave nectar or maple syrup, to taste)
- Bring water to a boil and add turmeric.
- Allow to simmer for 8-10 minutes, stirring to make sure the turmeric is fully dissolved. Reduce heat, add milk and oil and stir well.
- Add sweetener if desired and enjoy!