Your family will love this flavorful hash brown casserole. The frozen hash brown potatoes are combined with a homemade cheese sauce then the casserole is topped with soft buttered bread crumbs.
This is an excellent potato casserole to serve with a big breakfast or brunch, and it makes a tasty dinner side dish as well.
- 1 pound frozen Southern style hash brown potatoes, thawed*
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 to 6 green onions
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup chicken all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole milk or half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- *If you can't find the diced "Southern-Style" hash browns, shredded can be substituted.
- Butter a 1 to 1 1/2-quart casserole. Heat oven to 350.
- In a saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter; add green onions and cook for 1 minute over medium-low heat.
- Add flour and stir to blend well. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Gradually stir in the chicken broth and milk.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Stir in salt, pepper, potatoes, and cheese. Spoon into the prepared baking dish.
- Put bread crumbs in a bowl. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon of butter; drizzle over bread crumbs and toss to blend.
- Sprinkle the buttered bread crumbs over the casserole.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until hot and bubbly and topping is nicely browned.
- Put frozen hash browns in a shallow container and thaw them in the refrigerator overnight. To thaw quickly, microwave them, stirring frequently, until thawed. Pat dry with paper towels.