The beef top loin roast, also known as New York strip roast or strip loin roast, is a lean, flavorful, tender cut from the short loin. It's a very good choice for an oven roast and will be most tender and flavorful cooked medium rare to medium. The flavor and tenderness of the beef are worth that extra cost.
In this recipe, the roast is rubbed with a variety of herbs and garlic, then it is roasted to perfection. The included pan gravy is quick and easy to make, with pan drippings, beef broth, and flour.
Serve this delicious roast with baked or mashed potatoes and your favorite side vegetables or salads. Enjoy the leftovers in sandwiches or use it in salads or, if you have plenty, dice it and use it in a hearty cottage pie.
- 1 4 to 5 lbs. top loin roast (beef)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic (minced)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons leaf thyme (dried)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons leaf sage (dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary (dried, crumbled)
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (ground)
- For the Pan Gravy
- Pan drippings
- 4 tablespoons flour (all-purpose)
- 2 to 3 cups beef broth (or stock, low sodium or unsalted)
- Garnish: salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oven to 450°.
- Place the roast, fat side up, on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Combine the olive oil, garlic, thyme, sage, rosemary, sea salt, and pepper; stir to blend. Rub all over the roast.
- Roast the beef for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven heat to 350° and roast for about 35 to 45 minutes longer or to 130° to 140° (for medium rare) on an instant-read thermometer or temperature probe inserted in the center of the thickest part of the roast. See below for more detailed temperature guidelines.
- Let the roast rest for 15 minutes before slicing.
Arrange the beef on a platter and serve with the pan gravy.
- Strain the pan drippings into a saucepan and stir in 4 tablespoons of flour.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Add the beef broth and continue cooking, stirring, until thickened. Taste and season with salt and pepper as desired.
Beef Roast Temperatures
- 125° = Rare
- 130° to 140° = Medium Rare
- 145° to 150° = Medium
- 155° to 160° = Well Done
Related Roast Beef Recipes