This turkey is roasted with a mixture of herbs and olive oil under the skin and all over the bird. Use small amounts of dried herbs along with the fresh herbs for more flavor. I used fresh dill, rosemary, and chives, along with about 1/2 teaspoon each of dried leaf marjoram and thyme.
- 1 turkey, about 14 pounds
- 3 to 4 tablespoons mixed chopped herbs, such as chives, dill, tarragon, rosemary, thyme, and marjoram
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 orange, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 apple, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 onion, quartered
- sprigs of fresh herbs
- Heat the oven to 450 F.
- Rinse the turkey inside and out; pat dry. Combine the chopped herbs with olive oil. Gently separate the skin from the breast and rub a few tablespoons of the herb mixture under the skin as far back as you can reach. Rub the remaining mixture all over the bird. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Put orange, apple, onion chunks, and herb sprigs in the stuffing cavity.
- Cover wing tips with small pieces of foil.
- Roast the turkey in the preheated 450 F oven for 10 minutes.
- Tent a sheet of foil loosely over the top of the turkey and reduce heat to 325 F. Continue roasting for about 3 1/2 hours longer, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers at least 165 F.
- How to Safely Thaw a Whole Turkey
- Turkey Basics: Safe Cooking of Whole Turkey
- Turkey Roasting Time Guide