Treasure hunt along old Route 61 in Missouri each August or September at the Highway 61 Yard Sale. Shoppers sometimes call it the 61 Mile Yard Sale because that's the approximate distance of the route, which spans from the Northern start/stop of Jackson to the Southern start/stop of Festus. Started to drive traffic to local businesses along the route, the Highway 61 Yard Sale now features up to 300 individual yard sales each year.
- Jackson, Missouri to Festus, Missouri
- Approximately 61 miles along Route 61
- The Highway 61 Yard Sale Map
2019 Dates and Times
- Thursday, August 29 through Saturday, August 31
- Held annually on the weekend before Labor Day
- Most sellers start by 7:00 a.m. on Friday and Saturday
Highway 61 Yard Sale Shopping Tips
- Watch for both yard sales and yard sale signs as you drive the route. Some signs may point the way to off-highway sales, especially as you're passing through participating towns. Not all sellers live right on Highway 61.
- You may see group sales in fields, empty lots and the parking lots of business along the route.
- Brush up on your yard sale skills before you head to the sale.
- September in Missouri is hot. Pack a cooler full of water, slather on the sunscreen, and have your car's air conditioner checked before you leave for the sale.
- When you pull over for a sale that's right on the route, be cautious about where you park. Make sure you're all the way off the highway. Even parking on the shoulder isn't safe.
Selling at the Highway 61 Yard Sale
- Make sure you have big, bright, easy-to-spot signage at your sale, even if you're right on the route. It's hard to watch for yard sales while keeping your eyes safely on the road.
- Show organizers invite you to publicize your sale during the event by posting the details on the Highway 61 Yard Sale Facebook page.
If you want to sell at the Highway 61 Yard Sale but don't live along the route, there are a handful of available options:
- Check with the Chamber of Commerce in the county where you live — or in the one where you'd like to set up and sell. They may have a list of people renting spaces for group sales.
- Ask a local business along the route about setting up in the parking lot. Or,
- Check your county tax assessor's office for the owner's name and mailing address if you know of an empty field.
- Post on the Highway 61 Yard Sale Facebook page for someone who is willing to rent or share selling space along the route.
For more information about the Highway 61 Yard Sale, write to: 61 Mile Yard Sale Association, P.O. Box 423, Cape Girardeau, Missouri 63702, or visit their Facebook page.