These companies are both military friendly and telecommuting friendly.
01 of 13
This provider of broadband, entertainment and voice services to consumers and businesses in 33 states offers work-at-home positions for virtual call center agents who perform sales and customer service. The company actively recruits veterans and provides them special training. Activated reservists receive full difference between civilian and military pay for one year.
See more work at home call center jobs.
02 of 13
On Fortune's "100 Best Companies to Work For" list in 2011, Deloitte is the best of 100 when it comes to telecommuting--with 86 percent of its workers telecommuting for at least 20 percent of the work week. And it appears on my list of Top Telecommuting Companies as well. The company actively recruits veterans and has special mentoring programs and training for vets.
03 of 13
Though GE has won praise for being military friendly and it does have some telecommuting options, these work-at-home options are mostly limited to the GE Retail Finance division, which hires "client services representatives" in home call center jobs. Other divisions within the company may support telecommuting, but they do not actively recruit for work at home jobs. Read more about GE's programs for veterans.
04 of 13
This large insurance company offers work at home positions for nurses, adjusters, sales people, attorneys and claims consultants. (Use the keyword "remote" to search the company's job listings.) According to the Military Times website, it has a hiring program for spouses and it pays reservists a combination of full civilian pay and the difference between civilian and military pay.
See more work at home insurance jobs.
Continue to 5 of 13 below.
05 of 13
06 of 13
Humana, which includes Humana Military Healthcare Services Inc., offers many telecommuting positions, particularly for nurses. The company also has opportunities, which may allow telecommuting, for medical coders, chart auditors, licensed insurance reps, accountants, physicians, writers, human resource recruiters and benefits consultants, website specialists and sales people. The company pays activated reservists the difference between their military and civilian pay without a limit.
07 of 13Intuit, owner of TurboTax, has made a concerted effort to recruit military spouses for its 700 or so work-at-home tax advisor jobs. These jobs are for CPAs or enrolled agent and may be seasonal or permanent.
08 of 13
Lockheed Martin employs more than 25,000 veterans, and more than 20 percent of its executives are vets. The company pays activated reservists the difference between their military and civilian pay without a limit. It supports telecommuting in its workforce but doesn't necessarily let new hires telecommute. To find a telecommuting jobs, search "telecommuting" in its jobs database.
Military Friendly Accolades:
Continue to 9 of 13 below.
- G.I. Jobs 100 Most Military Friendly Employers
- Military Times Edge Best for... Vets: Employers 2011
09 of 13
This large insurance company hires underwriters and controls analysts for work from home positions. However, the company also has flexible workplace options (including telework) for other employees as well. (Use "work from home" as a keyword in the employment database.) Metlife actively recruits veterans and has a military spouse hiring program. It pays full differential pay for activated reservists for one year.
10 of 13
Coming in at #53 of G.I. Jobs 100 Most Military Friendly Employers, U-Haul, which was founded by a Navy vet right after World War II, operates in all 50 states and has employment opportunities for retail store managers, vehicle repair technicians, computer support technicians and route managers. However, when it comes to work-at-home jobs, the positions are in the company's call center. Work at home call center agents take incoming calls from customers. Representatives answer general... questions, take reservation and/or provide roadside assistance. Paid training.
11 of 13
The government has an employer of vets is so obvious that it is overlooked by many of the lists of military friendly employers. But the government has a whole website devoted to it FedsHireVets.gov. The federal government has a "Veterans' Preference," which gives eligible veterans preference in appointment over many other applicants. As for telework, the government has a website devoted to that too, telework.gov. In recent years, the government has stepped up efforts to allow more... employees to work from home.
12 of 13
Customer service agents handle billing, sales or troubleshooting calls for the company's clients from their home offices. They are paid on a per-minute rate, per-call or an hourly rate, with a guarantee of minimum wage. Training is paid.Continue to 13 of 13 below.
13 of 13
More Veteran Job Resources
- CivilianJobs.com - After registration, site allows jobdseekers to post resumes online and submit online applications. CivilianJobs.com also sponsors job fairs.
- G.I. Jobs - This site has a lot of information about jobhunting and career tips. It lists military friendly employers and provides profiles of the companies and links to their job listings. No registration is required.
- Military.com - The employment section of this broader site requires registration with a lot of personal information to... even see the job postings, most of which are pulled from Monster. It has a separate site for military spouses.
- MilitaryHire.com - This site also requires registration with personal information. However, the jobs seem to be more specific to the military and not pulled from other job boards.
- MilitaryTimesEDGE.com -This website provides news and features stories for military members, but it has an expansive jobs section. It is free to search and apply to jobs. No registration is required to search jobs but you must register to apply.
- RecruitMilitary.com - Search the database without registering, but you must register to apply. This military-to-civilian recruiting firm puts on job expos for vets all over the country.
- VetJobs - This free service for veterans does not require registration to search jobs. Companies pay to post on this job board.