A homemade blueberry pie recipe using phyllo pastry to make a crust and a lattice top, saving you the trouble of the most time consuming part of making a pie - the crust. Using phyllo pastry makes it foolproof, and makes the crust nice and flaky - all the better to show off the delicious blueberry filling!
Made from just a few simple ingredients, including blueberries, sugar and flour, this is a simple, easy, vegan egg-free and dairy-free homemade blueberry pie recipe - no egg substitute needed, though! You might also want to check out this similar recipe for a vegan blueberry pie with lemon.
If you like making homemade vegan pies, here's 19 more beautiful vegan pies to try.
This homemade blueberry pie recipe is courtesy of Wild Blueberries.
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon flour (all-purpose)
- 5-6 sheets phyllo pastry
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
To prepare the blueberry pie crust:
- First, lightly coat a 9-inch pie pan with nonstick spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the 2 teaspoons of sugar and 1 teaspoon of flour and set aside.
- Stack all of the phyllo sheets together (4 or 5, keeping one for the lattice top crust) and then cut them in half crosswise. Cover the sheets with a slightly damp cloth until ready to use.
- Take one phyllo sheet and layer it on the pie pan. Coat it lightly with the vegetable oil spray and sprinkle about 1/2 teaspoon of sugar mixture over it. Repeat with remaining sheets, layering clockwise at 1” intervals until entire pie pan rim is covered. Trim excess phyllo with kitchen shears.
To prepare the blueberry pie filling:
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon and mix well.
- Add fresh blueberries and sprinkle with lemon juice. Toss lightly to combine.
- Cook and gently stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Cook and stir 2 additional minutes.
- Remove from heat and transfer to prepared phyllo crust.
To prepare the top lattice crust:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut phyllo sheet in half crosswise. Lightly coat each half sheet with nonstick vegetable-oil spray. Stack the 2 layers and fold lengthwise then cut into 6 strips. Twist the strips and arrange them over the pie filling.
- Bake your homemade blueberry pie for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the phyllo is lightly crisped and golden.
Blueberry pie is best served fresh but at room temperature, so allow your pie to cool but then serve it up as soon as possible. Enjoy!
Like making homemade vegan pies? Check out this photo gallery of some of the most beautiful homemade vegan pies ever, including homemade vegan pumpkin pie, apple pie, vegan cherry pie, peanut butter pie, sweet potato pie and more.
See also: More easy and delicious vegan desserts