Making your own sweetened condensed milk is fast and easy! If you've ever encountered a recipe that calls for condensed milk, only to be foiled by an empty pantry shelf, you NEED this recipe! Whip up a batch of sweetened condensed milk in 5 minutes, and use it for baking or candy making. All you need are four ingredients and a blender, and you can make this baking staple in just a few minutes.
- 1 cup instant nonfat dry milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3-1/2 cup water (boiling)
- 1/4 cup butter (melted)
1. Place the dry milk, granulated sugar, 1/3 cup of the boiling water, and the melted butter in a blender.
2. Blend all ingredients together until they are smooth, scraping down the sides of the blender occasionally to get all the dry ingredients incorporated.
3. Condensed milk typically has a thick, syrupy consistency, but if your homemade condensed milk is too thick to pour easily, add another spoonful or two of boiling water and blend to incorporate.
Adjust the water until you are happy with the consistency.
4. Use your homemade sweetened condensed milk right away, or store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. It will get thicker when it is refrigerated, but will loosen up when stirred and brought to room temperature.
Some recipes that call for condensed milk include: