Using homemade drain cleaner to clear a slow drain is a good alternative to purchasing a chemical drain cleaner. Whether you are weary of the harsh chemicals or the cost of store bought drain cleaners, making your own is a good alternative.
A drain can be effectively cleaned using two common and inexpensive household items: baking soda and vinegar. The reaction caused by combining these two products can help clean the buildup in your household drains.
Make your own homemade drain cleaner in minutes.
- Start by removing the sink pop-up or tub stopper so you can have access to the drain.
- Pour ½ cup baking soda into the drain.
- Pour ½ cup of vinegar into the drain.
- Allow the fizzing action to do its work.
- When the fizzing has stopped carefully pour boiling water into the drain.
- Flush the drain with hot water.