You can purchase already made graham crack crusts in your local grocery store but I find that it's not as good as homemade. I typically bake the crust, but you could let it set in the refrigerator as well.
This recipe is perfect for cream and ice cream pies as well as cheesecakes.
How to Make a Graham Cracker Crust with Photo Instructions
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (6-1/2 ounces, see notes)
- 1/4 cup butter (melted and cooled)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Place the crumbs, butter, and sugar into a medium sized bowl*.
- Combine them with a spoon or a fork.
- Next, press the crumbs into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate.
- Baking a graham cracker crust is optional, but I prefer them to be baked. To bake the crust, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Bake it for 8 - 10 minutes.
- Place on a wire rack to cool. Cool the crust completely before making a cream pie. The crust can also be set by just putting it in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- One and one-half cups of graham crackers are made when you crush approximately 12 graham crackers. The difference is between finely crushing the crackers and breaking them up into chunky pieces.
- How do you convert your graham crackers into crumbs? Personally, I still prefer the old rolling pin method. Place your graham crackers into a resealable plastic bag. Seal the bag. Take a rolling pin and either roll the bag or do like I prefer to do: whack the bag several times and then roll like pie dough. This is a great way to get rid of some frustration. You may also use a food processor. As the graham crackers are processing, you can drizzle the butter right in. You may also buy boxes of already made graham crackers crumbs. They are a nice convenience, but they don’t taste as good as the ones you crush by hand.
- You can skip using a bowl and just mix the crust in the pie plate.
- Graham cracker crusts do not taste good as the crust for a quiche. I was at this “so-called” fancy tea room one time. Their Spinach Quick was baked in a graham cracker crust. Gross!
Recipes That Use Graham Cracker Crusts