These homemade Kit Kat bars are supposed to taste like the popular candy bar of the same name. They do have the nice chocolatey crunch of a Kit Kat candy bar, but note that these bars have a peanut butter flavor and are more salty-sweet than the candy bar. The kids tell me they like the taste of these bars even better than the original.
The simple steps in this easy recipe allow for your kiddos to take part in all the fun. Let them line the baking dish with crackers, pour the chocolate chips into the dish or lick the spatula. The hardest part of this recipe will be waiting for the bars to cool down fast enough before you get to eat them.
Don't Miss: Brownies and Bar Cookies
Peanut Butter Kit Kat Bar Recipe
This recipe uses club crackers, but feel free to substitute with wafers if you prefer or have tort wafers in your pantry. In just a few simple steps, you will have a whole tray of these yummy candy bars — They can be served on their own or with a scoop of creamy vanilla ice cream as part of an extra decadent dessert.
- Butter a 9 x 13 baking dish. Line with a layer of about 20 crackers until bottom of dish is fully covered.
- In a small saucepan, bring butter, sugars and milk together to a boil over medium heat. Stir in crushed graham crackers. Let boil 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour half of the sugar mixture over the crackers, smoothing over crackers with a spatula. Cover with another layer of 20 crackers, pressing down lightly. Pour remaining syrup mixture over crackers, smoothing to coat.
- Top with the remaining crackers, pressing lightly.
- Place chocolate chips and peanut butter in a microwave-safe dish. Heat on high for 30 seconds. Stir and repeat until chips are melted. (Alternatively, you can melt chocolate chips and peanut butter in a saucepan over low heat.)
- Pour the chocolatey peanut butter mixture evenly over the top layer of crackers, using a spatula to smooth out bubbles and make sure the crackers are completely covered.
- Refrigerate until Kit Kat bars are firm.
- Cut into thin bars to serve.
Don't Miss: Healthy Kit Kat Bars Recipe