Once kids get a taste of this homemade macaroni and cheese recipe, they'll never want the stuff from a box again. The nice part about this recipe is that you can vary the cheeses to suit your tastes. Use all cheddar if that's what you like, or use different artisan cheeses for a new twist. I like to make a big batch and put the leftovers in the kids school lunches. Just warm it in the microwave or on the stove, and pack in a thermos.
Don't Miss: Macaroni and Cheese Recipes
- 16 ounces elbow macaroni (whole wheat is okay)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons. all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack or American cheese
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain. Set aside.
- Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium low heat. Whisk in flour. Cook, stirring, for a few minutes, until flour is absorbed.
- Heat milk in the microwave 1 minute to warm. Do not let milk boil. Add to saucepan, stirring constantly with a whisk to make sure there aren't any lumps. Season with salt and pepper. Cook sauce over medium heat until thickened.
- Add all but 1/2 cup of the cheddar cheese to the sauce. Stir until cheese is melted. Remove from heat, and fold macaroni into the cheese sauce. Serve, topped with the reserved shredded cheese.