This basic pizza sauce recipe is easy to make at home with just a few ingredients that are probably already in your pantry. Top a purchased or homemade crust with this sauce, then add toppings and cheese for a great tasting pizza.
Feel free to add extra garlic to the sauce, or make it with dried leaf basil instead of oregano.
- 1 clove garlic, mashed and minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Dash of red pepper, optional
- In a medium saucepan, combine the garlic, salt, tomato paste along with the sauce, sugar, pepper, oregano, olive oil, and crushed red pepper. Blend well and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and continue cooking, stirring frequently, for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Let the sauce cool and then transfer it to a container or a large, clean jar. Cover and refrigerate until you're ready to prepare a pizza or up to 3 days.*
- Spread the sauce over a prepared pizza crust, add toppings and cheese, and bake it for about 20 minutes in a 400F oven.
- Makes about 1 1/2 cups, enough for two homemade pizzas.
- *If you are not using it right away, the sauce can be frozen. Place it in freezer containers with about 1 inch of headspace or in standard canning jars with about 2 inches of headspace to allow for expansion (glass jars can break if there isn't enough headspace).
Pizza Sauce Variations
- Creole Style Sauce: Put 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and saute 1/4 cup of chopped onion, 2 tablespoons of chopped celery, and 2 tablespoons of chopped bell pepper until tender. Add 1/4 teaspoon of creole or cajun seasoning. Add the minced clove or garlic and continue to cook for 1 minute. Add 3/4 teaspoon of kosher salt, the tomato paste and sauce, sugar, freshly ground black pepper, and oregano. Add a dash of cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper flakes. Blend well and simmer, stirring for 3 to 4 minutes. Let the sauce cool and refrigerate until you're ready to prepare the pizza.
- Chunky Pizza Sauce: Add 1 can (14.5 ounces) of petite diced tomatoes to the saucepan along with the tomato paste and sauce. Increase the oregano to 1 teaspoon and add 1/2 teaspoon of dried leaf basil or Italian seasoning blend.