Hoisin Sauce is a beloved treat served at almost every Chinese food restaurant. This raw version is a whole-food translation fit for a raw food diet.
Lovers of hoisin sauce beware, this homemade raw food version could become an addiction! Though you could quite easily slurp up this sauce, it is designed to go with Raw Chinese Vegetable Moo Shu Wraps. If you don't have dulse on hand, don't stress it. You can either omit it or substitute with a pinch of whatever type of seaweed you use in the Moo Shu.
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil (cold-pressed)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Optional: 1 teaspoon dulse flakes
- 1 teaspoon barley miso (unpasteurized)
- Soak the raisins in the water for up to an hour or until they are very mushy.
- Blend the raisins and the raisin soak water together with the remaining ingredients until smooth and saucy.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight glass container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Like making homemade raw vegan treats? Here are a few more raw food recipes to try: